Environmental, Social and Governance at Citi
By Ed Skyler, Head of Global Public Affairs April 21, 2020 08:00 AM
In the midst of this global pandemic, we remain committed to supporting our clients and community partners to help drive positive social and environmental impact around the world. As we confront the current crisis, we are not only working to manage its short-term impacts, but are preparing for and investing in long-term solutions focused on economic recovery and financial stability.
While this report was developed before the COVID-19 pandemic, its broad themes – fighting climate change, addressing the affordable housing crisis and reducing economic inequality – will continue to be key priorities for Citi. Some examples of our impact in 2019 include:
- $164 billion financed and facilitated in environmental finance activity, meeting and exceeding our 10-year, $100 billion goal four years early (2014-2019)
- $6 billion in loans provided for affordable housing projects in the U.S., making Citi the largest U.S. affordable housing lender for the 10th consecutive year
- $1 billion in lending toward financial inclusion worldwide within the last decade
- $100 million loan guarantee facility created with OPIC and the Ford Foundation, entitled Scaling Enterprise, which provides early-stage financing in local currency to companies that expand access to products and services for low-income communities in emerging markets
- Publically shared our raw pay gap in 2019 and continued transparency regarding pay equity in 2020
Our CEO Mike Corbat also shares his views on this work and challenges ahead. Click here to read the Executive Summary of our 2019 Environmental, Social and Governance Report, formerly our Global Citizenship Report.